Marion County Emergency Medical Services  I  436 West Walnut St Lebanon Kentucky 40033
Phone (270) 692-6666  I  Fax (270) 692-2941
Marion County Emergency Medical Services
Proudly Serving since 1982
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What number do I call if I need an ambulance?
A: If you need an ambulance right away, call 911. For a non-emergency or routine transport, call us at (270) 692-6666. If you need to pre-schedule a transport, please call the office at (270) 692-6666.

Q: Can I get medical advice by calling 911?
A: No. For medical advice you need to consult a physician. If you can't get in touch with your physician, we'll be glad to send you an ambulance to transport you to a hospital for evaluation by an emergency room physician.

Q: Can I request an ambulance respond without lights and siren?
A: While we understand that the lights and sirens can be alarming to people and animals alike, we're required to use them if we're responding on an emergency run. We will try to turn off the siren before we arrive at the scene if at all possible.

Q: Why do you sometimes transport patients via a helicopter instead of an ambulance?
A: An air ambulance or helicopter is used for transport only when the patient is critical and life-saving time may be saved by the decreased transport time of an ambulance.

Q: How many calls did Marion County EMS normally respond to?
A: Last year, we averaged around 2,800 calls.

Q: Who should I contact if I have a question about my bill?
A: (AMB Billing) Ambulance Medical Billing takes care of all MCEMS billing. You may reach them by calling 866-328-9458 or by fax at (304) 521-1743.

Q: Who should I contact if my bill was turned over to collections?
A: Credit Clearing House of America Inc. takes care of our collections. You may reach them at (502) 583-1666 or 800-928-1666

Q: I pay for Emergency Medical Services on my tax bill, why do I also get billed when I use the service?
A: Marion County EMS is funded by a combination of a taxing and user fees. To minimize the taxing impact on the entire citizenry individuals who use the service pay a user fee to fund the remaining cost of providing services. In this way, the taxes necessary to support MCEMS can be held to a minimum.

Q: Is the bill for ambulance treatment and transport covered by health insurance?
A: In most cases, yes. However, this depends in large part on the type of coverage that the patient has and whether the service is considered medically necessary by the patient's insurance carrier. Each insurance company and, in some cases, each insurance policy may pay differently towards ambulance transportation.

Q: How can I get a copy of my Emergency Medical Services Records?
A: Your medical records are confidential and protected by various privacy laws. All requests for copies of records must be made in writing and authorized by the patient or the patient's legal guardian. Your medical information can be released without the consent of the patient only under subpoena. For more information and to request a copy of your ambulance records, please call us at (270) 692-6666.

Q: What should I do when approached by an emergency vehicle?
A: State law requires motorists to yield the right of way to emergency vehicles who are traveling with lights and siren activated. The correct procedure is to pull to the right side of the road and come to a complete stop until the emergency vehicle has passed. Motorists heading toward the ambulance should also pull to the right side of the road and stop as both lanes of travel are required to stop as long as a divided median is not present. If you are stopped at an intersection with a traffic light, you should remain in your lane of travel so long as the ambulance has an open lane to go around you.


Below is the link to the Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services with all available and approved upcoming classes. 

Feel free to contact us as we are available to answer any questions you might have on what it takes to become a certified EMT!